EMMA – Creative Center Pforzheim is looking for 3 young designers to join the Designers in Residence Pforzheim 2022 program April-June 2023 in Germany .
Every year from April to June the city of Pforzheim invites international young designers as part of the scholarship program “Designers in Residence” to Pforzheim. “Designers in Residence” is aimed at designers working in the fields of jewellery, fashion, accessory, industrial and communication design as well as other design disciplines. Interdisciplinary project proposals are welcome . In total, there will be three scholarships, the three best applications will be considered.
Scholarship holders will stay in Pforzheim from April, 1 until June, 30 2023.
- Applications open to designers worldwide.
- Open to young international designers working in the fields of jewellery, fashion, accessory, industrial and communication design as well as other design disciplines. Interdisciplinary project proposals are welcome.
- Applicants must have completed studies at a university of applied sciences or university, must not be older than 35 years old or must have completed their studies not longer than two years ago.
- Language skills in English or German required
- No applications fee
HOW TO APPLY
DEADLINE TO APPLY: November 15, 2022
Read the FAQs
In order to clarify open questions about the application process, we offer open zoom-meetings on two dates.
20 October 2022, 14.00 CET - Join here Meeting 1
07 November 2022, 14.00 CET - Join here Meeting 2
DESIGNERS IN RESIDENCE PFORZHEIM 2023 SCHOLARSHIP BENEFITS:
In total there will be three scholarships: Of all applications, the three best will be considered.
- The scholarship includes the use of fully equipped workshop workplaces in the EMMA Creative Center in Pforzheim. As required, it will also be possible to use the workshop facilities of the Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences.
- Free accommodation for the period of three months.
- Each scholarship holder will receive monthly support of 1,000 euros.
- Travel costs for the journey from and back to home.
- A special allowance will be made available for material costs.
- The results of the work scholarship will be presented in an exhibition at the EMMA Creative Center in Pforzheim and in co-operation with the Baden-Württemberg Design Center in Stuttgart.
- Those accepting the scholarship are required to be in residence. The scholarship holder may only be absent for a maximum of 10 days.
- When is the Designers in Residence programme? April 1 to June 30, 2023
THE FULL EQUIPED WORKPLACES AT THE EMMA CREATIVE CENTRE INCLUDE :
- A desk in the Coworking area including lockable container and internet access.
- The workshop for Industrial Design which is equipped with bench drill, combined belt grinding motor, scroll saw, electric drill, vices and worktables.
- The goldsmith workshop which is equipped with combined sheet an wire rolling mill, hand wire drawing bench, polishing motor, hand press, electric melting furnace, Puk 04 soldering porch, silversmith´s need (embossing hammer, planishing hammer, polishing hammer, texturing hammer, horn anvil, various white pig iron), bracelet mandrel, mandrel, ultrasonic cleaner, pickling unit, knee lever press, straight line engine turning machine, drop hammer.
- The workshop for fashion, textile and accessory design which is equipped with a big editing table, tailor´s dummies, several sewing machines (overlock machine, blind stitch machine, industrial sewing machine, cover-stitch seam machine, leather sewing machine), fusing press, steam pressing device and material storage.
- If required, it is also possible to work in the workshops at the Faculty of Design, University of Pforzheim.
DOCUMENTS & WORK REQUIRED TO APPLY
Applicants have to submit the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae including details of previous grants, awards, prizes
- Description of the project idea / item to be designed in the scholarship period
- Proof of final degree
- Work samples: products / models, photographs or other pictures of the design work (folder, catalogue)
- The application can be made in German or English.
- Additional to the online application it is possible to hand in samples of your work via post to EMMA – Kreativzentrum
- Pforzheim Designers in Residence, Emma-Jaeger-Straße 20, 75175 Pforzheim Germany
Confirmation of a scholarship will be made mid-December 2022.
HAVE A QUESTION?
If you have any question about the residency, please do contact Alexandra Vogt at EMMA creative center by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or call +49 72 313 91 874.